It is not easy to find a VPN that works with Netflix. Users are well aware of this. Even paid VPNs may not be able to unblock Netflix content. While some VPNs are free and unblock Netflix content, it is not always a good deal. Many free VPNs can be dangerous or unsafe.
We recommend NordVPN, a premium VPN that you can test by signing up for a free trial and a 30-day guarantee. Other great VPNs are also available to help you change Netflix’s region without having to pay a lot.
We have compiled a list with the top free Netflix VPNs. Some are free to try, others have a 30-day guarantee. Continue reading to find the right one for you.
The Top 5 Best Free Netflix VPNs
- NordVPN – The best VPN for Netflix viewing
- Surf Shark – Top Netflix VPN for MacOS with a Free Trial
- AtlasVPN – Excellent VPN to Watch Netflix for 30 Days Free
- ProtonVPN offers risk-free Netflix viewing for a month
- Windscribe – A free VPN that allows you to watch Netflix from anywhere
How to Unblock Netflix using a VPN:
A VPN is the best way to watch Netflix from anywhere:
- Install a Netflix VPN such as NordVPN
- Register for an account, or log in
- Connect to a Netflix server that is based in your country by choosing a Netflix library
- Netflix is risk-free for 30 days
- You can cancel any subscription at any moment
Our detailed list of the best VPNs for Netflix offers a complete guide to choosing one.
Many VPNs claim they can unblock streaming sites for free, but not all of them do. We have tested over a dozen products in order to find the best VPNs that work with Netflix.
1. NordVPN – The best VPN to stream Netflix from anywhere you are
NordVPN is a great VPN to access Netflix from anywhere you are. It’s also free. You can get a free, generous trial version for Android. This gives you unlimited access to all its features for upto a week.
Unblock 16 Netflix libraries with the help of 5400 servers located in 60 countries. These servers are located in key areas such as the US, UK, Japan and other countries. This VPN also supports WireGuard protocol, which ensures fast speeds and no buffering.
You can also access international content via other streaming services. It works with DAZN and BBC iPlayer as well as Hulu, HBO Max, HBO Max, Hulu, HBO Max, HBO Max, HBO Max, HBO Max, and other streaming platforms.
Sign up to receive a NordVPN trial for free. For up to seven days, you won’t be charged. You can continue watching Netflix without any charges for up to 7 days. The provider also offers a 30-day money back guarantee.
Learn more about the features of NordVPN in our NordVPN review.
- Unblock 16 Netflix libraries
- Free 7-day trial of feature-rich software
- Stable connection and fast speeds
- Uses other streaming platforms
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Offers no free trial on desktop devices
2. Surf Shark is the best VPN to watch Netflix on your desktop or mobile device
Surf Shark VPN is able to help you unblock more than 30 Netflix libraries free of charge. Surf Shark VPN has more than 3200 servers located in 95 countries, which gives you access to American Netflix and other popular regions.
You can also use the WireGuard protocol for the fastest speeds, and it even includes a SmartDNS feature. You can now watch Japanese Netflix and other global content on your Smart TV, or any other streaming device.
To unlock these perks, all you need is a Surfshark trial. Register an account to receive a free Surfshark trial. You can use it on Android, iOS, or macOS devices for up to seven days without paying any fees.
You can cancel your subscription if you still want to watch Netflix after the trial ends. You can instead use the 30-day money back guarantee to continue watching your favourite shows for another month without any risk.
Surf Shark’s full review can be found here.
- Unblocks more than 30 Netflix libraries
- SmartDNS feature
- Free 7-day trial on desktops and mobile devices
- Rapid speeds
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Windows has a limited time offer for a free trial
3. AtlasVPN – A great VPN to stream Netflix without any risk for one month
Atlas VPN is another excellent provider that can help you unblock Netflix. It also allows you to access 6 libraries of worldwide content. You can also unblock other streaming services with 750 servers located in 38 countries.
This VPN works with Windows, macOS Android, and iOS devices. There are no restrictions on simultaneous connections. You can now watch your favourite Netflix shows on as many devices and platforms as you want.
Atlas VPN offers a free version. However, you need to subscribe to get the best Netflix experience. You can get your money back within 30 days with this provider’s money-back guarantee. Technically, all premium perks are yours for nothing.
Learn more about this provider by reading our Atlas VPN review.
- Get access to 6 Netflix libraries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Version free
- Unblock other streaming platforms
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Small server fleet
4. ProtonVPN is a VPN that gives you free access for 30 days to all global Netflix libraries
ProtonVPN allows you to access 10 Netflix libraries for no cost. To access the most popular shows, you can use it for free or get a 30-day refund.
This service provider has 1700 servers located in 63 countries. You can use these servers to unblock Netflix, as well as HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer.
ProtonVPN, like other streaming VPNs, supports WireGuard protocol which delivers fast speeds. You won’t experience buffering while watching TV shows and movies.
This VPN works with Android TV, as well as other streaming devices. You can also stream Netflix on your smart television and get cosy with your family.
It is important to note that ProtonVPN’s free version has some limitations. There are only three servers available in Japan, the United States and the Netherlands, as well as 1 simultaneous connection.
You can access additional Netflix libraries free of charge by subscribing to a paid version without limitations. After the 30-day guarantee ends, you can request a refund.
The full ProtonVPN review contains more information about the provider.
- Unblock 10 Netflix libraries
- Works with Android TV
- Protocol WireGuard
- Uses other streaming sites
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Users who are not paying for the version have limited access to the servers
- Limited macOS version
5. Windscribe – Unlimited Free VPN Version to Watch Netflix From Anywhere
Windscribe, a Netflix VPN for free, unblocks 10 libraries around the world so you can access your favourite shows. It can be installed on Windows, macOS and Android devices. This allows you to stream Netflix from anywhere.
The VPN offers 480 servers in 63 different countries. Even the free version allows you to connect to servers in the USA, Canada, Switzerland and Germany.
It also works with DAZN, YouTube, BBC iPlayer and BBC iPlayer. You have many options for streaming.
It’s important to mention that Windscribe has a monthly data limit. This depends on how you register. Windscribe offers 2GB of data without an email address and 10GB if you have one. It doesn’t offer the same 30-day money back guarantee as most VPN service providers.
Find out more information about Windscribe in our Windscribe review.
- Get access to 10 Netflix libraries
- Unlimited version available
- Other streaming sites can be unblocked
- Compatible with mobile and desktop devices
- No 30-day money-back guarantee
- 2-10 GB data cap
- Speed issues could occur
These free Netflix VPNs were tested
Free VPNs are not the same as premium VPNs in terms of service quality and features. We tested at least 12 products and selected the top ones based on the following criteria.
- Trial for free. Some VPNs may not be free for an indefinite period. Others might only allow you to use the service for a limited time. So that you can enjoy your Netflix shows uninterrupted, we made sure to choose VPNs that offer the longest free trials.
- 30-day money-back guarantee. VPNs that are free can often be slow or not work as they claim. They might work with Netflix one day and not the other. We chose VPNs that allow you to upgrade to premium editions and receive a full refund within thirty days. You can stream high-quality content without any risk.
- Select country. Most VPNs don’t allow you to choose specific countries. They automatically choose the closest server to you for the best connection. You won’t be able to access the Netflix library you want. We only listed VPNs that allow you to manually select countries and view the shows you like.
- Compatibility. All major platforms are compatible with the products. You can access Netflix from your mobile or desktop device to enjoy the content no matter where you are.
VPNs that are free can be dangerous
Free VPNs can be dangerous if they are provided by unreliable providers. Before installing a free VPN on your device, I recommend that you carefully review the information and the reviews about the creator of the product. You could be exposed to the following dangers if you use a free VPN service that isn’t tested:
- Malware. Untested VPNs can lead to ransomware, which is a serious threat to your security. Cybercriminals frequently create malware that looks like legitimate software, and distribute it on questionable websites as freebies. You should only download VPNs that are licensed by official developers or verified sites.
- Intrusive ads. Affiliate marketing is another way free VPNs can continue to provide services without charge. Affiliate marketing is a way for free VPNs to continue providing services. Simply put, the products they offer are packed full of intrusive advertisements that promote products from partnering companies. The advertised tools can be classified as potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), or even lead to spyware and adware distribution.
Comparing Netflix VPNs for Free
|Data cap:||Unlimited||Unlimited||10 GB per month||Unlimited||2-10 GB per month|
|No. of Netflix libraries:||16||30+||6||10||10|
|Unblocks other streaming sites:||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Free trial:||Yes, 7-day||Yes, 7-day||Yes, unlimited||Yes, unlimited||Yes, unlimited|
|30-day money back guarantee:||Yes||Yes||Yes|
What if Netflix is blocked?
Netflix uses strong anti-VPN technology to block IP addresses sharing multiple connections. Free VPNs don’t always have the resources needed, such as obfuscated servers that fight back, and users are unable to access Netflix. This error message might appear if this is the case:
But don’t lose heart. If you have problems with your Netflix VPN, there are still some things you can do.
- You can try different servers. Netflix tracks the VPN servers that have the most simultaneous connections. There is a high likelihood that your free VPN server will be blocked if it is used by many others. You should connect to another server that does not share as many connections. Although it might take some time to find one you will eventually get lucky.
- Clear cache and cookies. Websites can collect information about you, including your exact location. This data could be used to identify Netflix that you are using a VPN. Clear your browsing data if you are unable to access the library you desire. You can follow our guide to clear cache and cookies on all major browsers.
- Disable IPv6 addresses. Most free VPNs use IPv4 addresses, while websites use IPv6 addresses. If you try to access the site using a VPN that runs on IPv4, it will redirect your traffic through an IPv6 server, which will reveal your true IP address. You have two choices in this situation: use an IPv6 VPN like NordVPN or block IPv6 from your device.
- You can use customer support options. Although VPN service providers typically offer support only to paid subscribers, you can still access helpful how-to guides or community forums on their website. Find relevant articles on streaming to help you determine which Netflix servers are best for you.
Netflix VPNs are free and don’t block Netflix
There are no VPNs available that unblock Netflix. These VPNs include:
- Hide.me VPN. Only four countries are available to users. During streaming performance tests, Hide.me VPN failed to deblock Netflix or other popular sites.
- Avira Phantom VPN. Avira Phantom VPN is available as a free download. It not only automatically selects countries, but it also does not unblock Netflix and other streaming services.
- AVG Secure VPN. AVG Secure VPN offers a free, unlimited version that you can use for up to one week. However, it is not capable of bypassing Netflix’s location restrictions. It works with YouTube and BBC iPlayer.
- ZoogVPN. This VPN service provider claims to provide access to more than 20+ Netflix libraries. However, paid subscribers are only eligible for these perks. ZoogVPN is not compatible with Netflix.
It can be difficult to find a free Netflix VPN, especially since there are many options that are not only ineffective at unblocking Netflix but may also pose a danger to your computer. Premium VPN service providers offer multiple ways to change Netflix’s region.
NordVPN, for example, offers an Android user a free trial. You can install the VPN on your Android smartphone to enjoy Netflix shows. It also offers a 30-day money back guarantee if you wish to use it on your computer. You can also enjoy one month of Netflix streaming without any restrictions.
Premium VPN providers offer free versions, free trials, and the option to return your money. These perks will allow you to enjoy Netflix without paying for a VPN.
CyberNews has more VPN guides:
The best free VPNs for Chrome: Safe and reliable VPNs
The best VPNs for Android that unblock foreign content
Get the best VPNs for iPhone. Take care of your online security
Which VPN is best for Netflix?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Netflix. For a week, you can unblock 16 libraries to enjoy global content. It offers great speed and access to other streaming services.
Is it worth getting a Netflix VPN for free?
Free Netflix VPNs are definitely worth the cost. These VPNs can allow you to access your favourite shows even when you are travelling. NordVPN offers a free trial that allows you to access 16 Netflix libraries from any location around the world.
Is it safe for Netflix to use a VPN?
If they are from reliable VPN service providers, then free VPNs can be used to access Netflix. Surf Shark or NordVPN are recommended to unblock large numbers of Netflix libraries.
Is it possible to use a proxy free of charge for Netflix?
Free proxy services cannot bypass Netflix’s strong location restrictions. NordVPN offers a free trial VPN that will allow you to unblock Netflix.